Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Dog ate a piece of chewed icebreakers gum. Chewed piece was

Customer Question

dog ate a piece of chewed icebreakers gum. Chewed piece was 3 pieces originally. Icebreakers has 1.5 gram per piece. Dog is 55 lbs. Don't know how long my son chewed the gum, but probably for a while.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dog?
Customer: No. She is about 1 year old.
Does my dog need to go to the emergency vet?
Type of Animal: dog
Gender: Female
Age: 1
Name of Dog: Pooka
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I have looked online and found that xylitol was listed in the ingredient panel. Do you also see this on the gum that you have?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
But the gum was chewed by my adult son for around an hour

Because we do not have certainty on how much xylitol is left in each piece of gum after chewing and xylitol toxicity can have deadly effects, I would err on the side of caution and go to the ER vet this evening. There is more information available here on the effects:

Failing this, you can induce vomiting if this ingestion occurred less than 2 hours ago, with this protocol. Use FRESH hydrogen peroxide and monitor very closely for any changes that may occur in demeanor:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
How much hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting?

There is more information available at the link I provided.

The general rule for peroxide is 5mls (or 1 teaspoon) per 10 pounds, orally. Repeat every 15-20 minutes, up to three times, until the animal vomits.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
OK, she vomited and we found the piece of gum intact. I assume she should be ok now?

That's not always the case, unfortunately. Any Xylitol that she may have ingested and might have been absorbed could still cause problems. This is part of the reason I suggested the ER visit. If you elect no veterinary visit, you will need to keep very close tabs on her for the next 3 days for acute symptoms but also in the weeks to come. She would benefit from blood work in the near future to ensure that she does not suffer any liver issues from the ingestion. Having blood work run at the ER tonight would be ideal as you would get baseline readings and something to compare the values to in the near future.

In short, I cannot say that she will be okay. However, the likelihood of toxicity from a chewed piece of gum in a dog her size after vomiting was induced should be quite limited.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?