Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.
I have looked online and found that xylitol was listed in the ingredient panel. Do you also see this on the gum that you have?
Because we do not have certainty on how much xylitol is left in each piece of gum after chewing and xylitol toxicity can have deadly effects, I would err on the side of caution and go to the ER vet this evening. There is more information available here on the effects: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs/4340Failing this, you can induce vomiting if this ingestion occurred less than 2 hours ago, with this protocol. Use FRESH hydrogen peroxide and monitor very closely for any changes that may occur in demeanor: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html
I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800
There is more information available at the link I provided.The general rule for peroxide is 5mls (or 1 teaspoon) per 10 pounds, orally. Repeat every 15-20 minutes, up to three times, until the animal vomits.
That's not always the case, unfortunately. Any Xylitol that she may have ingested and might have been absorbed could still cause problems. This is part of the reason I suggested the ER visit. If you elect no veterinary visit, you will need to keep very close tabs on her for the next 3 days for acute symptoms but also in the weeks to come. She would benefit from blood work in the near future to ensure that she does not suffer any liver issues from the ingestion. Having blood work run at the ER tonight would be ideal as you would get baseline readings and something to compare the values to in the near future.In short, I cannot say that she will be okay. However, the likelihood of toxicity from a chewed piece of gum in a dog her size after vomiting was induced should be quite limited.
Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?