Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

At what age should a small toy poodle be spayed?

Customer Question

at what age should a small toy poodle be spayed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, as this breed is an early maturing one, we would be fine to spay her after she reaches 6months of age. We usually do this before the first season or heat as this will decrease her risk of mammary tumors in later life.

Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she only weighs about 4.5 pounds but is in good health. so 6 months is not too young? some say it will affect her adult coat too if spayed early
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

We spay/neuter kitties that are just as light in weight. So, as long as she is healthy then she can be spayed at 6 months and as she is mature at that stage it should not affect her adult coat. And I'd note that leaving it past her first heat will reduce that benefit in reducing the risk of mammary masses when she is older.

Best wishes,

Dr. B
------------------------------------