Tamra Hunt
Tamra Hunt, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Mobile Veterinarian

Basset hound look like it has ear infection he has blood

Customer Question

Basset hound look like it has ear infection he has blood accumulated in the lower part of he's ear what should I do to try to get the blood accumulated to go down to his normal size !!!!
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 24 days ago.

My name is***** I'm sorry Buddy's ear is swollen and bothering him. I'm assuming when you say that blood is accumulated in the lower part of the ear that you mean that the ear flap is swollen like a pillow. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
is correct !!! It look like is an accumulation of blood in the mid section to lower part of the ear ,it does not bored him much but it look like a big ball ematoma!!!
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 23 days ago.

There are different thoughts about how to treat this. In the past, surgery was recommended. Under general anesthesia, the ear is lanced, the blood is drained and multiple stitches are placed to close the ear back up. However, over the last couple of years, many veterinarians have found the heal just the same if you treat the ear infection, so they quit shaking their head, and don't do surgery. I definitely recommend treating the ear infection. If he keeps shaking his head, it won't heal. How long has it been swollen?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It was swollen for a week now in the past like last year it happen to him and did go away but now I feel that is taking longer to go away . Do you think that I should give him like a Benadryl pill to see if the allergy make the s swollen go away I clean the ear these morning flush hot water and put dissolution of vinegar nd water in the ear canal and a give him an aspirin !!!

I don't think Benadryl will help with the swelling. It just needs time and he needs to stop shaking his head. I don't recommend my patients receive asprin because there are better medications out there. But if your vet has given you a dose for him continue per his instructions.l Be sure NOT to give tylenol (acetomenophin) or advil (ibuprofen). Both of those are bad for dogs. I hope his ear infection cleans up and he feels better soon. What other questions can I answer?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Well he does not shake his head so much why the swallowing has not gone down and what medication do you recommend that I can get for him to make the swallowing to go down faster ???

There is nothing you can get over the counter. As I mentioned there are many ways to treat this. Some vets will drain it and give steroids (you will have to get them from a vet). But sometimes the ear just refills and it is just the same. I don't know of anything over the counter you can give that will reduce its size. Some veterinarians will give a steroid injection into the ear and they say that helps. But only medications and procedures through a vet could POSSIBLY help, but even with treatment, it may come out the same anyway.

I'm glad he quit shaking his head. Is his other ear looking more normal now?

I would stop the asprin as it can decrease clotting times and might be contributing to the ear continually filling up with blood. Without the asprin, it may clot more and the swelling may resolve faster. Does he seem painful?

Do you have an further questions? If not Just Answer would like your feedback to improve the service we provide. Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

I hope Buddy's ear is better soon!