Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is neuter ed and has swollen testicles and penis and is

Customer Question

He is neuter ed and has swollen testicles and penis and is extreme pain, how do I relieve it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Micah, he is 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Micah?
Customer: Not that I know of,
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, he is neutered, correct?

2- Can you post a picture of the swelling?

3- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
he is. 5 months I don't know how to send a picture.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Next to your reply button there is a "add on" button. You can download it there.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Friend, I am sorry, but, I can not wait any longer. I will be going offline for the night so I will opt out so another expert could help you. I am sorry.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. It's unclear to me how a neutered dog (usually by castration) could have swollen testicles. I suspect that you're seeing swelling of his scrotum. When associated with swelling of his prepuce - the covering of the penis - dependent edema - a collection of fluid between the skin and the subcutaneous tissues - is suspected. This often occurs in associated with right-sided heart failure or a lack of the small protein albumin in the blood stream.

Extreme pain, however, isn't consistent with dependent edema and so I have to consider trauma, cancers, or perhaps obstruction in Micah's urinary tract. Whatever the cause, such a patient needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. He'll need a hands-on physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and most likely imaging in the form of either X-rays or ultrasound. Please continue our conversation if you wish.