Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My coton de tear is 10 years old this month and started

Customer Question

my coton de tear is 10 years old this month and started limping out of the blue. 2 hours later his leg is swoen and purple under tbe skin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound. lasr week he limped for 2 hrs I gave him.25mg of rimadyl and after an hr he was fine. i tried the same today but after 1 hrs it was swlloen and has gotten even more swollen over the last few hours
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about toby?
Customer: he had lime and lepto vaccines late august. other than that always healthy. he doesn't cry or whine when i touch the leg but he doesn't put it down
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
is this life threatening
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
he just threw u0 too. very clamly. i turned around for 10 seconds. when i turned back it was there. his entire dinner
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question and sorry that sweet Toby is not feeling well. This limping with swelling with the skin becoming purple tells us that there may be extra bone development that is blocking a part of Toby's circulation to that leg caused by arthritis. This could also be caused by other issues at his age but whatever it is, this is very serious and will require immediate attention by your vet. They will need to run tests to determine the cause and attempt to treat this before there is a total loss of circulation to that leg. For now, apply cold compresses that will help slow down the swelling and possibly give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound to decrease the inflammation. Take Toby to your vet as soon as possible since this is all speculation until tests can be run.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta