Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

6 yr old Bully with severe diarrhea and weak hind legs. I

Customer Question

6 yr old Bully with severe diarrhea and weak hind legs. I think he ate a rotten pear from our pear tree
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Porter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Porter?
Customer: He has had symptoms for 36 hours
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools for a few days now. The weakness you are noting is likely related to dehydration due to the severe diarrhea but without a veterinary exam I cannot rule out another cause either metabolic or spinal in origin.

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with his digestive tract especially with the seriousness of his signs but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle his stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 23 days ago.

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your Bully to see how he is doing today? Were you able to get him to your veterinarian? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!