Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is vomiting foamy stuff, what could be the problem?

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting white foamy stuff, what could be the problem?
JA: I'm sorry that vomiting is feeling poorly. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did vomiting eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just grass
JA: How old is vomiting?
Customer: My dogs name is Akiva, & shes 7 yr old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Akiva?
Customer: No she is a pretty healthy dog. This just started yesterday. Yesterday's vomit was yellow. Tonight she started again, & it is white milky vomit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Akiva is vomiting. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- What breed is she?

4- Is she lethargic?

5- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. Allergies
2. Not to my knowledge
3. Shin Tzu
4. No
5. 15 lbs

1- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

2- Is she currently on any medications?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Is she currrently on a prescription diet?

Are you there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't afford the extra right now.

I will have an answer for you shortly as soon as you answer the above questions at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. Just vomited again
2. No medication
3. No anxious to go outside to eat more grass
4. No special diet

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK

Friend, I am sorry Akiva is vomiting; I am sure you must be worried. In response to your question, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not let her eat grass.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter