Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 17 year old little maltese is very precious to me. HE HAS

Customer Question

My 17 year old little maltese is very precious to me. HE HAS SAVED My husbands life several times alerting us of his low blood sugar and need of O2 due to pulmonary fibrosis. He never leaves my husbands side. Sleeps for several hours. never leaves the bedroom or goes outside. He is due for his renewal for license and rabies. I do not want to give his rabies or make him ill in any way. What can I do.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Virginia, your best bet will likely be to find a vet that will refuse to vaccinate due to age. This may involve going to a different veterinarian. If your state requires the rabies vaccine to be given, you may have no choice but to have it administered. Something I would also look into would be a 3 year rabies. It may require you to have Lucky vaccinated this year, but will give you an additional 3 years of protection. It would be worthwhile to see what is required by your city/state and see if opting out due to age and the 3 year vaccine will help you achieve what you're hoping to accomplish.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?