Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

He has a bump under his lower lip. We removed porcupine

Customer Question

He has a bump under his lower lip. We removed porcupine needles from his face 2 weeks ago. Is this likely related
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yukon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yukon?
Customer: It's a red bump. Round and elevated.] Again, he had a porcupine encounter 2 weeks ago.;
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that Yukon has this bump and I am a little concerned that the quill base might still be present with this new area and it might need to be explored with sedation.

Things you can do for now:
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to minimize rubbing
- Epsom salt soaks (a towel soaked in epsom salt lukewarm water applied to the area) twice daily with ten minute contact time might help the base migrate out
- Keeping the area clean and dry which can involve oatmeal-based dog shampoo or ivory soap and water
- Please minimize salves or ointments which may not allow the quill to back out

If there is no change in the next 24-48 hours then please consider a veterinary exam +/- sedation to explore the area where the lump is.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 16 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman