Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

7 week old bernese mountain dog puppy... she had about 2

Customer Question

7 week old bernese mountain dog puppy... she had about 2 tablespoons of organic chicken soup from our local co-op (hot soup bar). After she licked it up, a flash bulb went off in my head about garlic and onions. Called and the soup contained both! She seems fine for now, no symptoms.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Bernese mountain dog will be able to digest that. What is the Bernese mountain dog's name?
Customer: worried about onion toxicity. No chunks of onion, just mostly broth.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Bernese mountain dog?
Customer: Calling him Blue for now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Please don't be alarmed. It took dogs fed onion soup equivalent to 30 g (one ounce) of raw onions per kilogram of body weight daily for 3 days to develop a marked Heinz body anemia. It takes an extract equivalent to 5 grams of whole garlic per kilogram of body weight for 7 days to develop anemia 9-11 days after dosing. Blue didn't ingest anything near these amounts. As with ingesting anything unusual, transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea might arise but Blue wasn't intoxicated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK thank you. If I wanted to be super cautious, could I give him activated charcoal? I have capsules of that.

No, it isn't necessary...nor would I expect activated charcoal to bind either onion or garlic.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bookmarked. Anything else you would recommend, just in case, to move it out of his system? We just brought him home Saturday. I feel awful that I thought giving him a few slurps of the broth was a good idea. Have not owned a dog in 14 years, so am out of practice.

No, please let him be. His dietary indiscretion was of no significance. Give him a kiss for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All right, thank you. Still really nervous. Will head to vet if I see gums change color or vomiting, but hopefully there will be none of that!

There won't be. You're quite welcome.