Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

I just drove across country with my 17-year-old Maltese. It

Customer Question

I just drove across country with my 17-year-old Maltese. It took us five days. On the fourth day, while staying at a friend's house in Las Vegas, my dog started circling to the left and will not stop. We have now been at our destination in Los Angeles for 10 days and she is still circling to the left. She did not do this before we left New York ten days ago. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 23 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

Circling to one side can be due to an inner ear infection or a brain disorder. Some elderly dogs will also start doing this as a sign of cognitive dysfuntion or dementia. It can affect their appetite if the circling makes them nauseous. It would be a good idea to get her examined to ensure her ears are not infected. If it is a brain disorder or tumor, the vet can prescribe medications to help with symptoms and to maintain a good quality of life.