Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How can I screen my boxer for cardiomyopathy and how can I

Customer Question

How can I screen my boxer for cardiomyopathy and how can I plan ahead for if she does collapse? Should I know CPR or carry an atropine pin? Thanks. Lydia
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

The key screening tool for diagnosing and monitoring the progression of a boxer cardiomyopathy would be regular echocardiograms/ultrasound of the heart. This will allow your vet to diagnose if this is an issue but also monitor any thickening of the heart wall of changes to the valves themselves. And this usually dictates whether they need treatment to keep the heart functioning properly.

Otherwise, you don't tend to need to be carrying any emergency treatments with you. When these patients faint (syncope), they just need breathing space. This is because the collapse is due to low blood oxygen to the brain. So, as soon as they drop and have reduced oxygen use at the cellular level, their brain oxygen levels rise and they wake up as normal. The key is knowing how much Juno can comfortably do and calming her if she is over exerting herself. So, if she is being very active or you notice her gums paling (as the oxygen levels drop), then we'd want her to sit down and catch her breath. And while they don't need CPR since the heart doesn't stop, I do think that is a worthwhile procedure to learn just in case for her or for any people that may need CPR assistance.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )