Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My Wheaton had surgery in July for a small bow obstruction

Customer Question

My Wheaton had surgery in July for a small bow obstruction and removal of a large mass of decorative grass. Apparently these decorative grasses, which are everywhere where we live, are like crack to him. 3 days ago he escaped the fenced yard and consumed an unknown quantity of decorative grass inour neighbors yard (witnessed by another neighbor). I fear we at heading in a Bad direction with no eating or drinking for 2 days, mild occasional heaving, and tiny poos. Today I gave him miralax in a glass of water via syringe. He started eating and drinking a bit tonight. He is lethargic but still very responsive to passing by dogs etc.. White long periods of lying still in between. I gave half a cap of Miralax, should I give more? I can administer SQ fluids if necessary.Is there anything I can give him to help break up this fibrous mess. To be honest, we cannot afford another 4K in vet bills after only 3 months.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I have tried to keep him active this weekend hoping some playing catch etc... Will keep things moving. He is lethargic but still stimulated to run and bark and passing by dogs or to great you. Just a lot of lying down in between. I gave him half a cap of the Miralax (what I would give a 2-3 yr old child. Should I give more? Maybe some Pepcid? If needed I can give sub q fluids but feeling slightly positive that he drank and ate a little tonight.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 23 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Oh dear, we do need to tread with care here.

There is nothing that can really break down the grasses that wouldn't harm the gut in doing so. Instead, we'd need to focus on getting this all moving. If he will eat a bit then we'd want to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you need to continue the GI lubricant. Miralax is fine and you will need to give at least a few millilitres every 8 hours. Ideally, we want to add this to food if we can but if you are syringing it just be careful since aspiration into the lungs (from syringing or him vomiting it up) would be best avoided.

Just to note you can use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ for nausea but fluids don't need to be given unless he is taking in less then 48ml per kilogram of his body weight daily.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then we'd need the local vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and hopefully it will be low enough after 3 days that an enema can get it passed and surgery can be avoided.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He's still here. Energy level about the same. Has been popping decent amounts. Every time we put him in the back yard he is eating enormous amounts of regular green grass. Last night a large grassy vomit.Eating rice and chicken well
Not drinking too much
Demure but excited by other animals or passerbys.
Honestly surprised not worse but still not out of the woods by any means. Those native decorative grasses are very thin with fluffy long with plumes. Hard to digest if at all I assume.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the update,

I agree if he isn't 100%, then we aren't out of the woods but it does sound like an improvement. Though if he is passing stool, eating well, and just has mild nausea then that does make me less concerned about those decorative grasses and I do wonder if he has instead picked up a gut infection when he was out. In that case, keep up the good work, but if he isnt' settling he may need a check up and potentially antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

***Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )