Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has sores that are the size of dimes. It's located

Customer Question

My dog has sores that are the size of dimes. It's located generally in his genital area but there's a few wondering spots on his upper inner thigh. I noticed a mark or two a few weeks ago and just now notices how bad it has gotten.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

What do these look like? Ulcers, crusty lesions, etc?

Is he rubbing or licking these areas?

Has he had any urinary issues (ie dribbling, straining, etc)?

Any recent diet changes or new products (ie sprays, laundry soap, carpet powder, etc) being used at home?

When did he last get treated for fleas? What did you use?

Can you take a photo of this as it will let me see what you are seeing? To post online, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I submitted a picture, he hasn't had any change in his daily activities or food. He's ten months old and eats four cups of blue buffalo a day, two cups in the morning and night. He has a blanket in his crate to keep him from having to lay on the plastic, I've used the same detergent since he was a month old. It's been a few months since he's been treated for flees but he hasn't been scratching a lot, and he doesn't spend too much time outside other than walks. He is licking them but I haven't seen him scratch or bite them often.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for the photos,

Based on these, we look to have moist dermatitis lesions. We can see this arise as a primary issue but I'd note that the distribution also fits with this being secondary to ticks or blackflies (if you have those locally). In either case, you can initiate some supportive care at this stage.

First, we want to cleanse the lesions with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine or even salt water --1tbsp to a pint warm water). This will just reduce the bacterial population and help dry out the area before a full flare-up can occur. Usually that will be enough to settle small flare-ups. you can gently pat the area dry. You can then apply a topical antibiotic (ie neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, etc). This can be done 2-3 times daily. Since it is quite red any angry, then you can also apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe that irritation and itch.

With the location of the area, we can also put a pair of boxers (reversed so there is a hole for the tail) on your lad. This will cover the lesion with a breathable cover that will allow it to dry out but also keep him from licking this further and introducing bacteria from his saliva.

Finally, just in case there is an allergy component, you can consider a trial on Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). Dose-wise, we typically will give dogs 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight (1-4 mg/kg) by mouth up to 2-3 times daily. Now do note that we tend to go for the lower end of the range to start with these dogs since antihistamines can cause drowsiness in dogs (just as it can in people). And of course, you'd want to double check with your vet if he has any pre-existing health issues or is on any other medication.

Overall, these look to be bacterial in origin but we can see these secondary to some parasites like those I noted. Therefore, if either is an issue, we will want to use a deterrent to keep him safe from them. Otherwise, we can start the above just now and/or have his vet use systemic treatment (ie antibiotics, steroids, etc) if needed to get this settled for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.