Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog had cough developed a cough around last Sunday. I

Customer Question

My dog had cough developed a cough around last Sunday. I gave her a medicine called HomeoPet:Cough. The cough got better and it went a way for a few days. Yesterday she started to make a wheezing sound. She was doing that earlier today too. The wheezing hasn't gone away and seems to be getting worse. My dog is a rat terrier mix. She stayed with my friend. One of her dogs had kennel cough. My friend said her dog was on antibiotics and wasn't contagious. I think she got it from there. Does it sound like my dog still has kennel cough?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now unfortunately, Mia's situation sounds highly suspicious of kennel cough and while your friend's dog may be on antibiotics that doesn't mean they aren't contagious. In fact, they can still shed the bacteria for up to 4 weeks after they finish treatment. Therefore, it sounds like Mia was infected if she was exposed to this dog (who really should not be out in public or around other dogs if they have kennel cough). In this case, we'd want to have her seen by her local vet to get her onto treatment before this has a chance to spread to her lungs which is a concern if she is wheezing. Once she is on treatment, we'd hope to get this nipped in the bud but of course need to keep her away from other dogs while she is recovering.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )