Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Periodically she will get up and walk with a stiff back -

Customer Question

Periodically she will get up and walk with a stiff back - humped a bit. She will pant - seems uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Golden Retriever - 13.5 years old and in good health. We thought at one time it was her anal glands but Doc ruled that out. It is bazaar as it only happens for 24 - 36 hours every other month. This time it is happening less than 2 weeks from the last episode.
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the golden retriever. What is the golden retriever's name?
Customer: Lexie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lexie?
Customer: Our vet also thought it may be gas
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I vote for a painful spine. The hunch in her back is the clue. A 13.5 year old golden must have an osteoarthritic spine and I'm likely to find evidence of degenerative disk disease in the spine as well. When she appears uncomfortable, I'd administer a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam available through her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.