Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

12 wk old puggle puppy swallowed 1 night quil tablet. Will

Customer Question

12 wk old puggle puppy swallowed 1 night quil tablet. Will he be OK?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Peanut, weighs about 10 lb
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peanut?
Customer: not that I know of
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 22 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The Nyquil tablet contains 325 mg of acetaminophen. 70 mg/lb of acetaminophen is toxic to dogs. Peaut ingested just 325 mg/10 lbs or 32.5 mg/lb. It also contains 15 mg of dextromethrophan which is just slightly above what used to be recommended in dogs of Peanut's size - it's no longer recommended due to lack of efficacy. Finally, it contains a small dose of doxylamine - a safe antihistamine for Peanut. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.