Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He ate some linoleum, Jax 7 mos, 7mo, He's vomited 4 times,

Customer Question

He ate some linoleum
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jax 7 mos
JA: How old is Jax?
Customer: 7mo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?
Customer: He's vomited 4 times, passed urine and stool. No pieces of linoleum in the stool yet.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jax. Please tell me how long it's been since he ingested the linoleum.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He ingested it around 4pm EST (about 4.75 hrs ago).
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He ingested the linoleum around 4pm. He has vomited 4 times since. Emesis contains partially digested food from breakfast, small pieces of what could be the linoleum and liquid. He has passed urine and a small amount if stool. The stool did not contain pieces of linoleum. He drank some water but vomited about 30 to 40 minutes later. He does not appear to be in acute distress.

Thank you for the additional information. At this point you can continue to "watchful wait" and see how Jax does. The tell-tale signs of gastrointestinal obstruction are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia and which should prompt having Jax's GI tract X-rayed or, preferably, ultrasounded to better understand the extent of linoleum left in it and the likelihood of it being passing unaided. I would fast him for 12 hours at this time but leave his water down. If drinking continues to induce vomiting, ice cubes for him to lick should replace his water. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How do we know if he becomes dehydrated?

Dehydration is evidenced by "tenting" of his skin between his shoulder blades (you would pick up his skin and make a tent of it...if it didn't snap right back down, dehydration is present) as well as noting tachy mucous membranes; in other words, his gums would appear dry to you.