Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

At the end of July my rough collie jumped out of an SUV and

Customer Question

At the end of July my rough collie jumped out of an SUV and unfortunately she landed wrong on her left paw and is now suffering from a left carpal hyper extension. I couldn't afford the surgery to fix it and chose to go with a custom made leg brace. We got the brace late Friday from Dr. Lugenbill the orthopedic vet. Bailey and I are kind of gettin used to the brace, but about a month ago she developed an infection in her left dew claw which she was prescribed av
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: sorry hit the wrong button. With the cast off the dew claw extends horizontally instead of vertically in line with her leg and paw. On Friday she loved the brace but over the weekend she has started to have reversed feelings. Her paw seems like it's painful for her, and I'm wondering if a RX or otc medication that I can give her. I have an RX for my back pain it's OxyCodone 15MG, and I have Advil. There is no open wound near the dew claw
JA: What is the collie's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: There is a sock to put over her leg and paw but she really dislikes that. The orthopedic vet has a message to call me tomorrow, but I'm wondering if there is something I can give her today to help relieve her pain
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I understand your concerns at this time. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily can be helpful. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Oxydocone is OK when you need to address moderate to severe pain. I dose that narcotic at 0.05 mg/lb initially and repeated in 6-12 hours if need be.* Expect significant sedation if you dose Bailey with it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(*A 50 lb collie might receive 0.05 mg/lb x 50 lbs = 2.5 mg. That's just 1/6 of a 15 mg tablet of oxycodone.)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.