Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

For several days when I've picked up my dogs poop it is

Customer Question

For several days when I've picked up my dogs poop it is cold. Temp outside in the 80s and I know it's not old because I pick it up immediately after he releaves himself. He has cushings and is on medication for that. He's also 13 year old fixed Boston terrier. Thank you for any suggestions or recommendations.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about He 's?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 25 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. If you weren't concerned with this cold fecal material, would you feel that he's doing very well? Is he eating and drinking normally? Is he being social and interactive? Is there any way for you to take a rectal temperature of him?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
He drinks a large amount of water but have. Den told that is typical for a Cushing dog. No he's not interactive and no I don't have anyway to check his temperature rectally. He is also stricken with arthritis which I assumed was the issues with his sedative nature.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 25 days ago.

Cushing's disease will have dogs drinking excess water. That is definitely one of the big signs that owners are asked for when questioning for it. The arthritis can definitely cause a more sedentary lifestyle. To help with this, you should talk to your vet about the possibility of a trial of oral anti-inflammatories to see how he may respond to that. I'm going to be honest and say that as far as the cold poop, fecal material comes out pretty close to the body temperature it was in. Could it be in that environment longer than realized? Could he be defecating near an older stool and that one is picked up and felt to be more cool? Could the material of the poop bag be insulating the warmth from it from your hand? I know if I use a really thin poop bag it feels much warmer than if I use a grocer store bag in a pinch.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks some of those things could be possible but I doubt it happens every time I take him out and pick up his poop and I pick it up immediately. So the question it seems that will help answer this is his body temperature. I will discuss this with my vet this week and check his body temp. Thank you for your help and information.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 25 days ago.

I'm going to be very surprised if his rectal temperature as determined by a thermometer is low. If he's acting as good as he is, it just doesn't seem to add up. I hope everything goes well at the vet's office later this week! Here is a good link on arthritis management that you can get more information to talk to your vet about.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?