Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I left my dogs Rymidal at home what over the counter

Customer Question

I left my dogs Rymidal at home what over the counter anti-inflammatory can I give her?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 26 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear you left her rimadyl at home. Typically with transition to any other anti inflammatory you need a washout period of 48-72 hours to minimize risk of gi upset or other side effects that can accumulate with the use of these medications.

The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope you are able to get Stella comfortable soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!