Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

She just ate a nyquil that i dropped on the floor will she

Customer Question

she just ate a nyquil that i dropped on the floor will she be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** shes about three months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lola?
Customer: she only weighs about 5 pounds
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I definitely would advise inducing vomiting in this situation. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

The problem with Nyquil is the Acetaminophen (Tylenol) that it contains. In a dog 5 lbs this can be a problem to the kidneys and liver but also the stomach. If there is no vomiting with the second dose then please consider a veterinary er to give stronger medications to induce vomiting but also activated charcoal to block absorption. I will calculate the level of concern but wanted to get this information to you asap

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
okay thank you so much

The gelcap contains 325 mg acetaminophen. A safe dose for a dog her size is 5-7.5 mg/ pound so 25 - 37.5 mg which is ten times lower dose then ingested so please induce vomiting as this medication is absorbed rapidly in the gelcap formula

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

In dogs, acetaminophen toxicity can occur at doses of 100mg/kg but stomach upset can occur at a much lower dose.

The dose ingested at 5 pounds (2.3 kg) and ingesting 325 mg acetaminophen is 141 mg/kg for your little one...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your little one to see if you were able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!