Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

We have a 6 mo old puppy that ate a small tennis sock and we

Customer Question

We have a 6 mo old puppy that ate a small tennis sock and we are worried because she was just spayed on Thursday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: No, other then that she is fine
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat this?

How big is she?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
About 12 hr ago
40 pounds and 6 mo
Gums are pink
Can't really tell with her belly cuz she was just spayed on Thursday and has stitches
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.

Thank you,

I have received your reply and will type mine in full (please disregard the auto phone offer).

DR. B.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.

Thank you,

Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care. No worries on being able to palpate her belly, but since we cannot gauge discomfort, we need to be even more careful here. The problem with this situation is that 12 hours on means this sock if likely going to be in the intestines by now. Therefore, we cannot "cheat" and induce vomiting to get this back. Instead, we need to focus on our supportive care to help her pass it the other way.

In regards ***** ***** so, we'd want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage the sock to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through and pass.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any increase in belly tenderness generally (if she seems unable to lay down comfortably), pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage a and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see it pass, then we are happy. But any of those signs or if it doesn't appear in 48 hours then we'd want to consider having a check with her vet (perhaps if she has her post-spay check at that stage) to ensure we don't see this sock cause her any bother.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.