Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My 8 week Doberman pincher puppy was tested for Van

Customer Question

My 8 week Doberman pincher puppy was tested for Van Wildebran factors. His results came back at only 7%. I've been reading the test results can vary and the collection is important as well. Basically he was tested after only one day from being vaccinated which I read you should wait 5-10 days after vaccination. Also the blood was collected from the leg. Which I further read it should be collected from the jugular. Also you need to make sure food hasn't been given before the blood work. Which no one told me not to do. Therefore could the results be inaccurate and do you suggest I retest him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

I would trust these results to be accurate, as the level was quite low. The site of blood collection would not affect the result significantly. Giving food prior to a blood draw can add more fat to the blood, which occasionally can affect test results, usually the lab will state this on the test result and recommend retesting.

Having said that, it is harder to determine if vaccination would affect the results. Since this is a potentially serious condition, it wouldn't hurt to retest him to confirm, as it is a significant issue that we would want to be 100% certain results are accurate.

Hi Kristine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chief. How is everything going?

Katie Volat