Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

Blood ooziing from behind back molar - this morning though

Customer Question

blood ooziing from behind back molar - this morning though it was brown from his ear but after he was up and moving, it turned to bright red. Dripping from folds of upper lips and coating entire back teeth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Payton - he is 12 1/2. major ear issues and deaf for at least 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Payton?
Customer: He has dementia and takes cholodine supplement to control it. Can't open mouth enough to see if abscess behind the molar or if it is coming from elsewhere. I brush his teeth regularly and have not noticed any issue with the teeth themselves. Other than his gums are growing over the front teeth. Tumor?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 25 days ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Payton is bleeding from his mouth. Based on your description, I, too am wondering if there is a tumor in the back of his mouth. Another possible cause of bleeding would be abscess or foreign material stuck behind the rear teeth.

I would recommend having your vet examine him tomorrow. If he does not allow the vet to examine his mouth, they can give him a gentle sedative so they can examine him more closely. If there is a rotten tooth or foreign material, they can remove it or if there is a mass, they can biopsy it.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you. I had seen people talk about internal bleeding.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I feel more comfortable with possibilities now.

You're welcome. Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Okay. Have a great weekend. I hope there isn't any more bleeding.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This turned out to be anemia. He was bleeding from the gums and also had large amounts of blood in his urine. I had failed to mention that he took aspirin for pain and it appears as though he was having an allergic reaction or side effect (or both) to the aspirin. He is doing much better and we will be looking for an alternate method of relieving his pain.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 20 days ago.

Thanks so much for the update. That is an unusual case and I am glad to hear that your vet was able to make the diagnosis.

I hope all is well now and he is responding to treatments,

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda