Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is vomiting little pecks of blood, I'm not sure. My

Customer Question

Hello. My dog is vomiting little pecks of blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I'm not sure. My husband said he saw her eating mulch and perhaps a little piece of onion, but not sure She is peeping and pooping as usual. I have not feed her yet.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bagel and she is 1 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bagel?
Customer: She is a pocket beagle. Weights 15 pounds
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 20 days ago.

I am sorry to learn Bagel is vomiting blood. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- How much onion did she eat?

5- Is she lethargic?

6- Any diarrhea?

7- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
1. So far she has vomited yesterday and today in the mornings only. Yesterday she vomited a little twice but each time took a lot of effort. The first one was saliva with white foam on top. The second time, it was saliva with blood pecks. The saliva was light red because of the blood, I'm guessing. This morning she woke up and vomited saliva and white foam on top. Then vomited 2 more times saliva and blood pecks.
2. It started yesterday morning.
3. She weights 16 pounds
4. We are not sure if she indeed ate it, but if so - if might have been just a pinch size of onion
5. No she isn't. She is actually normal. I just tested her mood by grabbing her toy and she played as usual.
6. No diarrhea.
7. I checked her gums, they are pink. She is not drinking water now. I tried to give her an ice cube, but she didn't want it, but she is ok to play.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Her belly was making loud noises earlier too. Now, not so much.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 20 days ago.

Friend, I am sorry Bagel has been vomiting with specs of blood I am sure this must worry you. In response to your question, anytime we see blood in the vomit we need to assume that there could be something damaging the wall of the upper gastrointestinal tract, things like a foreign body, parasites, infections, ulcers, etc. less likely the patient can also vomit blood with a systemic disease like coagulation disorders, toxicity, etc. Unfortunately on history only it will not be possible to determine the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. Bagel would need to see your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
should I start doing what you suggested and then if she doesn't get better go to her vet? Or should I still take her to her vet today?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 20 days ago.

I would definitely have her checked by a veterinarian to try to determine the exact underlying cause. It is important to rule out things like a foreign body and not wait until she becomes clinically ill. In the meantime, start the above recommendations.

Please reply if you have additional questions.