Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I've got a question about my French Bulldog, Well he has

Customer Question

Hello I've got a question about my French Bulldog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your bulldog?
Customer: Well he has like sores on his body and he's scratching at it a lot and losing fur
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he just turned a year old He doesn't have fleas or anything like that
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rage?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Can you describe the appearance of the sores?

3- Are the sores spread through the body?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has been going on about 6 monthsScabby red sores all over his body and it's starting to make his fur fall off

1- Has he been seen by a vet for this problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He was seen a little while ago and they said it was a food allergy

1- Did you change his diet? If so, how long has he been on it? What are you feeding him?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His diet is the same, we are feeding him Blue Buffalo
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would it have anything to do with giving him table scraps?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, certainly food plays a role in the health of the skin. If he is allergic to one or more of the ingredients that he is eating then it will be difficult to correct or improve his skin problem. However, in a young dog like Rage it is also important to rule out things like mites, fungal or bacterial infections, etc.

If your vet did not do a skin scrapping I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing a skin scraping to rule out mites. In addition, consider starting him on oral antibiotics to rule out a bacterial infection. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Change the diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he has normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a grain free diet with fish. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. No table scraps. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1mg for every pound body weight every 12 hours. For example if he weighs 10 lbs he will require 10mg every 12 hours.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Bath him 2-3 times a week with chlorhexiderm shampoo then once every 21 days. You can buy Chlorhexiderm shampoo online, pet store or vet's office.

5- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a skin scraping and possibly oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter