Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a 13 yr old siberian husky just diagnosed with a

Customer Question

I have a 13 yr old siberian husky just diagnosed with a large mass on her spline she is also anemic do to the bleeding for a day and a half she was down didnt eat go out no walking today she was eating i made her liver in fact eating a lot vet said nothing could be done ti weak for surgery just watch her can anything be done for the bleeding is this it
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to hear about Gracie's situation.

Now if she has an actively bleeding mass on her spleen, the spleen either need to be removed or she needs to be put down to prevent her bleeding out and suffering here. She cannot be left as she is since severe anemia will cause weakness, lethargy, but then cause breathing struggles and collapse. Therefore, if her vet doesn't feel she is strong enough for surgery, you need to consider a referral to a specialist. A blood transfusion could counter that anemia and help stabilize her. And once it has, surgery could be carried out. If the mass is a bleeding hematoma, then surgery could be curative. But if it is a cancerous mass (a hemangiosarcoma), then her prognosis would be guarded. The surgery would still remove the tumor and stop the bleed but we'd have to be wary of cancer spread (ie to the lungs, liver and the other abdominal tissues in contact with the spleen).

Overall, this is a very serious situation for Gracie. We only have 2 options for her, so we need to take one of these for her to either try to help her or to keep her from suffering here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )