Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My female aussie is scratching herself everywhere even

Customer Question

My female aussie is scratching herself everywhere even biting at her paws. She is also panting heavily. This has been going on for the last few days. She is in air conditioning and the other aussie in the house is showing no symptom's. She seems very miserable, but is still eating and going outside regularly. Should I seek emergency treatment for her?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any redness or swelling in her skin?

2- How old is she?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did this come on quickly?

5- Is she on any medications?

6- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No redness or swelling in her skin. She is shedding quite a bit. She is not on any meds. Is not overweight and is 5 yrs. old. She has been panting for the last few days and I'm worried. She bites at her paws and scratches behind her ears and seemingly everywhere else. No pre-existing medical conditions. The other aussie in the house is fine. No changes in diet, and seems to be hungry and willing to go outdoors.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

1- Did the itching come on quickly?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
She weighs 55 lbs. the itching has been something she has always done to some degree, but not like this and coupled with the heavy panting I'm concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

I am sorry you are worried about her itching. In response to your question, itching can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are allergies (food or environment), allergic reactions, infections (bacterial, fungal or mites), hormonal, etc. The fact that this came on so quickly and it sounds like she is in distress I would place an allergic reaction high on the list of possible causes. If you have access to ER veterinarian I would have her checked by ER vet. The attending veterinarian can start her on injectable medication that will alleviate her symptoms quickly. Or, you can try starting her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 2 tablets every 8-12 hours for the next 5 days. You can buy Benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy. The better option would be ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter