Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is wheezing, no cough, just breathing differently

Customer Question

My dog is wheezing, no cough, just breathing differently than normal. I just came home from being out of town, and my husband says she ate well at dinner(around 6:30pm) and was fine until 9 or 10. She had a slight cough yesterday morning, but I haven't heard anything since I came home 2 hours ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: London. 10,
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about London?
Customer: No. She has been a healthy girl. She had kennel cough 5 or so years ago, but nothing since then.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Around 10
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Sorry, 60
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Gums and tongue seem normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that her gums are normal as this tells us that she has adequate oxygenation. Though that breathing rate if she is at rest is 2x normal and does support increased respiratory effort here. To see that and wheezing does raise concerns of a respiratory infection (ie bacterial, viral, or parasitic). I would note that we can see upper airway infections (like kennel cough) cause these signs but with the wheezing we'd be more concerned about lung based infection at this time.

In this situation, we are limited in what we can do at home. Though for the moment, you can try steam treating her. To do so, you can take her into the bathroom while you run a hot shower. This will help reduce airway secretions and hopefully ease her breathing a bit for us. Otherwise, we'd want to have a local listen to her lungs and heart (though this sounds more sudden then a heart issue) to determine which issue is present and start her on antibiotics, bronchodilators, +/- anti-inflammatories. Though as long as those gums are pink and she can settle, you can choose to delay until her regular vet is open for that.

Overall, I share your concerns about London. This sounds like we may have a brewing lung based issue and we do need to tread with care. So, as long as she is stable, we can monitor and steam treat her. Though any changes to that or once her regular vet is open, we'd want a check so we can get this treated and settled before it can make her feel poorly.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )