Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 11 lbs and ate approx. 3 oz of milk chocolate milk

Customer Question

my dog is 11 lbs and ate approx. 3 oz of milk chocolate milk duds and is vomiting . Can she have peptobismol?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: CHanell
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CHanell?
Customer: no just that she is vomiting and drinking water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I did want to let you know that this is only a mild toxicity and therefore gut upset is all we'd expect here. So, that is good news even if we do now need to address that nausea and vomiting (and potential diarrhea) for Chanell.

In regards ***** ***** so, Pepto Bismol isn't ideal since the Aspirin in it can irritate the stomach and it can cause constipation if she doesn't have diarrhea. Better options would be an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if she cannot keep those down, then we'd need her seen for injectable anti-nausea treatment.

Otherwise, if we can get her settled then we often use light diets for these dogs. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if we did see diarrhea, you could add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) to the food to counter that for your wee lass.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help superior service. Channel is great todayThank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that she is doing well :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.