Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

Its hard to explain. We have a rusell male. He does not eat

Customer Question

Its hard to explain. We have a jack rusell male. He does not eat much of anything, it seems to hurt him to eat, but he will drink water more frequently. He is very weak and has lost a lot of weight and we are worried about him. We have taken him to the vet and they don't know what is wrong but have given us some antibiotics and pain medicine. He was physically hurt with his front leg/shoulder early on but we don't know if this is related to the loss of appetite. We had taken him to the vet and they did exrays on his body but could not find anything wrong or broken. They have run tests on his blood too and did not find anything.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: We looked that over as well but did not find anything.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not that we can think of. We are just worried as to why he cant seem to eat. He has tried at time but throws it back up. He can drink some milk and he likes that. My wife can feed him very small stuff like some gravy and rice with tiny pieces of meat but he cant seem to eat much of that
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 21 days ago.

My name is***** and I am so sorry to hear that your dog is so sick.

Has your veterinarian offered an abdominal ultrasound? These can be very helpful to look for a blockage of the intestines that could be causing the nausea. Things that can cause chronic vomiting like this include a blockage by a foreign body like a stick, plastic, a rock, etc, blockage from a tumor in the stomach or intestines, pancreatitis, liver disease and others.
I would continue to offer small amounts of very soft foods. You can puree them into a milk-shake consistency and he may be able to keep that down better.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda