Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We think he is constipated. He haven't have a bowel movement

Customer Question

We think he is constipated . He haven't have a bowel movement for 2 days now and everything he eats comes out in his mouth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Willie, he's a dachshund
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willie?
Customer: He is just a regular, hyper active dog until couple days ago. We think it could have been from eating whole banana with peels that drops to our yard from our neighbors
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's pass 10 min
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has he been straining like he needs to go?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Straining yes. He can hold water but I have to force it to home ( I'm a syringe) right now he is sleeping. I cannot check the rest of your question. We think he ate too many of banana with peels.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

No worries, its fine to let him rest just now.

Though I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that he is this nauseous as well as straining since that does raise worries of a blockage. And in that case, we'd really want him seen urgently for injectable anti-nausea medication, and an xray to assess how severe this situation is. Based on that enemas or even surgery could be indicated.

Otherwise, in the meantime, the first step is that the nausea needs to be settled. If we cannot do so, then oral treatments at home won't be viable and may even be risky (since we cannot have him vomiting GI lubricants since that could lead to an aspiration pneumonia). In regards ***** ***** so, it does sound like we'll need to bypass his mouth with injectable treatment but you can choose to at least try an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If he can be settled with that then we'd want to offer a light diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). To these we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) and cat hairball treatment (our safest GI lubricant option) to help try to move the material in the gut through. Of course, if you found he had paling gums, belly pain or this didn't get things moving in a few hours, then again a check up to determine if we have a worrisome blockage would be indicated for his safety.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )