Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My mini pin is acting strange.....H is walking around in

Customer Question

My mini pin is acting strange.....H is walking around in circles and he wont come when I call him.He doesnt seem to hear me. He is only about 6 months old so he is into everything.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a mini doberman
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have not
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about him.He?
Customer: Yes a male
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing is wrong with his feet......

I'm sorry to hear of this with your min pin. Circling and a change in mentation (mental status) as evidenced by his unresponsiveness to you are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of encephalopathy (brain disorder) affecting the forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Both intracranial (within the skull) encephalopathies such as congenital brain defects or infectious encephalitises as well as extracranial (outside the skull) encephalopathies such as a poorly functioning liver intoxicating his brain (hepatoencephalopathy) need to be considered.

How long has this behavior persisted, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just a few hours and it was sudden onset

Had he just eaten - in particular, a high protein meal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He also has a good a appetite but I dont believe he had just eaten when it started

Thank you. A high protein meal can induce hepatoencephalopathy. Is his circling and mentation change persisting? Worsening? Abating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think there is a slight improvement but it could be about the same.......
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No we don't feed the hi protein dog food

These dogs will exhaust themselves and become hyperthermic if their wandering doesn't stop. Please consider hospitalizing him in a 24 hour facility should you have one available to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should take him to a Vet????

That would be prudent lest he exhaust himself and become overheated. I can't predict when - or if - this behavior will stop on its own accord.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the treatment for hepatoencephalopathy????
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would a dog sedative be appropriate??? I have some OTC calming pills for dogs.

You've got to be careful which drugs are used for that purpose; for example, if the drug needs to pass through the liver to become active or needs to be excreted by the liver and the liver isn't functioning well, it's possible to under- or overdose these patients. The OTC pills are unregulated and so it's very difficult to predict how they'll affect any dog much less a dog in his condition.

Hepatoencephalopathy is treated with diet and altering the gastrointestinal flora. We'd also look for a "shunt" - abnormal vasculature associated with the liver - that might be corrected surgically.

Hi Ricky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?