jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog has been whining and not moving much since this

Customer Question

my dog has been whining and not moving much since this morning. I took her to an emergency hospital at 2:00pm and they gave her a shot of painkiller and suggested x-rays, thinking it was a back issue. She is 5 yrs old, 14.8 lbs, cockapoo & the only other issue she has had was an anal sac infection a couple of months ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bellatrix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bellatrix?
Customer: she has been eating a little but not drinking any water since early afternoon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

If Bellatrix has also not been jumping up or using stairs, then a possible diagnoses of a disc problem is likely. X-rays sometimes do show up a disc injury. However, to totally rule out a disc issue, better imaging like a CT scan or MRI or myelogram are needed. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. These injuries can just be degenerative especially in longer backed breeds like poodles, chihuahuas and dachshunds. In other cases, sudden twists or even rough play with another dog can lead to injury. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

They gave her a pain killer hopefully with anti-inflammatory properties which ill help reduce any swelling and help her move easier. With a disc injury, it is best to put your dog on strict cage rest for at least a week only taking her out for potty breaks on a leash even if it seems like she feels better. This gives the disc time to heal. The medication may make pain free but won't take care of the underlying problem. Giving it time to heal might prevent further injury and less chance of a relapse.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick followup to see how Bellatrix is doing? Did you find my answer helpful?