Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Not sure if yall check these on the weekends but my dog was

Customer Question

Not sure if yall check these on the weekends but my dog was hit by a car on Thursday and was limping and just appeared sore with short breaths and ran around yesterday with just a limp were his pad was split open then today he is back to laying around and tonight he just coughed up bright red blood... he is fine now like nothing happened. His first pee was dark like he was dehydrated but we got him some water and it appears clear again and he has pooped atleast two or three times...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did he see his vet after he was hit? What treatments is he on?

How much blood did he bring up?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Before he was hit and maybe just a table spoon. Gums are pink in color. I started giving him some amoxicilin left over from his last visit. His breathing rate has maintained low 40s it was 42 this morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

First, I am very glad to hear that it was a small volume and that his gums are pink. If they had been paler/whiter then usual, then ongoing internal bleeding would have been a real worry here. As well, while that breathing rate is a bit higher then usual (20-30bpm is normal at rest), that is just likely secondary to pain and to suspect lung contusions (which will be the source of the blood you have seen).

Now I have to note that old Amoxicillin likely isn't going to be of much benefit. Instead, these cases tend to need strong pain relief (ie Tramadol, Gabapentin, Buprenorphine, Metacam/Rimadyl, etc) and it would be ideal to see his vet or an urgent care one now for one of those options. Especially since there are not OTC safe options for him (and even Aspirin cannot be used since its a blood thinner, the last thing we need if we have mild bleeding in the lungs). As well, they can also listen +/- xray his lungs to let you know how severe those contusions are. Though often those will just settle with time and healing but pain relief would help in general.

Overall, while his bringing up blood will have been dramatic, this sounds like a residual sign from his recent accident. So, if he is breathing fairly normally and has pink gums, then its not an urgent issue in itself. Though we'd want proper pain relief on board to aid him being comfortable as he heals from this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has good days and bad days... coughed up some very small amount of clotted blood a few days ago after he was up and moving a lot the day before. Then he was slow moving the next two days. He was chasing squirrels and rabbits yesterday and playing with other dogs. Today he is sore again with a croupy like cough not much discharge but it appears to be light blood and not much of an appetite.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Often they will (or we will) when a serious accident like this has occurred. Though if he is sore again after chasing those squirrels, then we need to make sure we are resting him and letting him fully heal before he is allowed to resume normal activity. And if he isn't on pain relief from his vet or he is coughing more (since secondary aspiration pneumonia may be an issue here), then we may need to cover those bases for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.