Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our 6 year old Golden Retriever was playing catch outside

Customer Question

Our 6 year old Golden Retriever was playing catch outside with my husband. She ran and jumped into the pool after a ball. We heard a yelp and she was having trouble swimming (she swims every day so this is pretty unusual). We got her out of the pool and she seems to not be using her back legs. She moves them a little but won't stand on them. One leg seems to be hanging a little weird but she does have movement. We've stretched out all 4 legs and she doesn't react in pain. She is laying down and doesn't seem interested in getting up. Should we be taking her to the vet?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Shea. You appear to be describing a traumatic intervertebral disk prolapse/rupture - a "slipped disk" which is compressing her spinal cord and resulting in the paresis (weakness)/paralysis in her hind legs. This is best addressed initially with potent antiinflammatory drugs in order to reduce the inflammation in the insulted portion of her spinal cord as soon as possible. An attending vet will test Shea's conscious proprioception (knowing where one's legs are in space) and nociception (deep pain perception) in her hind legs and give you a prognosis for Shea's recovery of function.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you! On our way to the vet.

You're quite welcome. My best to Shea. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 22 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shea. How is everything going?