Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My schnauzer puppy is usually very hyper and has several

Customer Question

My schnauzer puppy is usually very hyper and has several episodes where he runs around the house at high speeds growling. He's usually so active, today his head was bobbing and all he seems to want to do is sleep. I would hold him and rub his head and his body would go completely limp. I'm very worried because he's never like this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help puppy. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about puppy?
Customer: Not that I can think of, his head just seems to be bobbing/shaking a lot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Dr. Salkin, thank you.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your puppy. How old is he, please? His head bobbing and somnolence (sleepiness) suggests intoxication with a prescription or recreational drug, and encephalopathies (brain disorders) - both congenital (present at birth) and acquired - infectious, toxic, and idiopathic (unknown cause) as epilepsy can be. Do you think an intoxication is likely?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's 6 months old. It could be possible that he got intoxicated, I have a room mate who is taking medicinal marijuana is it possible that he could have gotten a hold of something she owns containing the drug? He's very limp and his breathing seems very slow.

I believe that you've nailed it - THC intoxication. Thankfully, it's difficult to seriously intoxicate a dog with THC. In most cases, the tincture of time will suffice to normalize my patient. Most dogs normalize within 24 hours but remission is predicated upon the dose ingested; some dogs may take up to 4 days to normalize. At this point you can "watchful wait" at home or have a 24-hour facility observe him. We need his gums and tongue color to remain nicely pink and his respiratory rate to remain over 8 breaths/minute. I'm not concerned with his caloric or fluid intale over the initial 24 hours. If he remained inappetent and not drinking for longer than 24 hours, he should have fluids/electrolytes administered by a vet by needle.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much, I'm very worried about him. I will wait out the 24 hours and hopefully he recovers soon!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?