Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

A friend of mine recently inherited a puppy from a family

Customer Question

A friend of mine recently inherited a puppy from a family member. She has told me the recently gotten the puppy spayed but had never gone back to remove the stitches on the outside. She had said the dog seems fine and hair has started growing back over it already. What are the risks from this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear!

Now I would not be overly worried about the hair regrowing but if these are left the skin can grow over these. If that is allowed to happen, this could trigger a foreign body reaction leading to the skin opening up as a draining wound and may mean surgery to remove the stitches from the skin. Therefore, if these have been left longer then 14 days post-spay, she needs to get Harlow to her vet. If she uses the same vet that did the surgery, they usually will take these out for free (unless its to a point where sedation is needed to do so safely). If she uses a different vet, then there may be a small fee. But the sooner they are out, the better since we'd want to head off any trouble and also prevent her from needing surgery to remove something that should already be taken out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harlow. How is everything going?

Dr. B.