Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dogs eyes very swallon No change of diet Been checked for

Customer Question

Dogs eyes very swallon
No change of diet
Been checked for tics
Doesn't appear to be causing distress
He's not rubbing either eye
Garden treated yesterday but he was kept away
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you mean the skin/tissues/lids around the eyes are swollen?

Or the eyeball itself?

Any discharge from the eyes? What color?

What was sprayed?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr B. Not the eyeballs and yes only skin around and yes there was discharge. The swelling has gone down within half an hour quite a lot. There was a grass spray 24 hours ago said safe within the hour. The dog didn't go out for hours afterwards.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Good,

I am glad to hear it wasn't the eyeballs themselves, since glaucoma is a canine emergency when it arises. As well, its positive that this is already reducing. Based on your photos and the sudden onset of this, it does look like Digg has a moderate allergic reaction. This could be due to the spray or any other allergen he has been in close contact with.

In regards ***** ***** here, we'd want to consider first flushing the eyes and skin around them with cool water or eye-safe saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This will just help us safely remove any lingering irritants, allergens, and bacteria that may want to capitalize on his inflamed peri-orbital skin.

As well, to get this settled quicker we can try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if this doesn't respond to that or any puffiness lingers, his vet can start a short course of steroids if need be.

Overall, this thankfully just looks like a mild allergic reaction. If he is sensitive to the spray, then it could cause what we are seeing. Though any new allergen could potentially do so. Therefore, we'd want to monitor and use the above to see if we can nip this in the bud for Digga.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Digga. How is everything going?

Dr. B.