Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 year old Giant Rat Terrier is not deficating; he has a

Customer Question

My 4 year old Giant Rat Terrier is not deficating; he has a little liquid come out. He has no appetite and is anxious, very restless. He is a special needs dog on Prozac and Trazadone for anxiety. He has impulse control aggression and caution is required.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the rat terrier?
Customer: The problem is not eating and not pooping.
JA: What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: Chase
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chase?
Customer: He has impulse control aggression treated with Prozac and Trazadone
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has it been since he passed a normal stool?

Is he straining to go?

If you can safely check, any belly pain when you press on his abdomen?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It will be two days today since he had a bowel movement.He does not seem to be straining. No vomiting.I can't safety press on his abdomen.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He woke me up seeking attention, but is now laying down. I tried to feed him some pumpkin and he licked a couple of swallows.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He acts like he wants to eat, but is hesitant.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He does not appear to be in pain. I noticed yesterday morning he was trembling every so slightly, it was not from fear.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

No worries, I don't want you to put yourself at risk.

Now if Chase hasn’t passed stool for that long, we do need to tread with care and try to give him a hand here. Though I will say that it is positive that he isn't straining and doesn't seem in discomfort with this. Of course, gut blockages as well as fecal constipation are a concern here.

With this all in mind, the pumpkin was a start but I do find it of more benefit when added to food. Often we will put it in a light diet like rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg. Otherwise, since he was hesitant and may not be eating well, we can try some other measures at this point. To start, we sometimes find that cow’s milk can be helpful at getting things moving along since dogs are like lactose sensitive people and will have increased gut movement with this. Alternatively, we can use a GI lubricant to get things moving. Often we will use OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) from the vet or the pet shop. Similarly, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. For those latter liquid option, its best to add these to his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Overall, this is getting to a time frame where we'd want to consider giving him a bit of a "push" to pass feces. Therefore, at this point, the pumpkin was a start but I'd advise the above supportive care to just get things moving. If you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or any straining without feces; then we'd want to have his vet have a feel of his GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.