Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I'm writing in regards to a blister I found on my dogs front

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm writing in regards ***** ***** blister I found on my dogs front left paw and there seems to be one possibly forming on his other paw. I was wondering if you happen to be able to guess where it was from. Could it be a foxtail or a splinter that became infected? I just soaked it in warm epsomsalt this evening. I'd appreciate your advice. Thank you!I added a photo below for your reference.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr:D replied 21 days ago.
Hello and thank you for the question , I am DrD , I will try to answer to your question .What breed is your dog ? When did you first notice the problem ? Is this the first time you notice this condition ? Is the dog limping ? Was there any pus coming through the lesion ? Any treatment for this condition ? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 21 days ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. D for you. Thank you for the photo. Yes, a foreign body abscess may have ruptured and evacuated itself. It doesn't appear that anything remains in that cavity. It's not unusual for multiple foxtails to be found in the paws - in different stages of abscessing. The main differential diagnosis is canine pedal furunculosis whose etiopathogenesis is unclear but one hypothesis is that sterile pedal furunculosis is a persistent, immune-mediated, inflammatory response to keratin and triglycerides liberated from ruptured hair follicles, sebaceous glands, and the panniculus (fatty layer of the skin). It's more common in short-haired breeds such as Vudu in which foxtails are less of a concern because there isn't hair between the digits which traps foxtails. The epsom salt soak was smart. You can continue soaking the affected paws twice daily for 15 minutes and see if these lesions resolve over a week's time but if more appear or you don't see a positive response to soaking, please have Vudu's vet take a look at the paws and mention pedal furunculosis to the vet who may not be aware of this vexing skin disorder.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.