Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Thank you so much! My dog got his foot caught up on some

Customer Question

Hi thank you so much! My dog got his foot caught up on some plastic covered wire. His front paws were on the ground and his hind paw was going up stuck in the plastics covered wire. I'm not sure how long he was like that cause I got home late from work and found him like that. His paw is very swollen and a very dark purple and it seems like blood was coming out from his paws I'm not sure if I should take him in or not cause I don't really have money for emergency vet....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 8months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rollie?
Customer: His paw his a tiny bit of warmth to it but feels very hollow.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 22 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. I suspect that Rollie's paw has improved since you posted as circulation has returned to it. I'd like his vet to take a look at the paw today with the understanding that "watchful waiting" may still be the best approach. It can take some time before we know if permanent damage has occurred and which would be likely to necessitate surgical intervention.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I'm at work right now but when I got up this morning it still looked swollen although he did feel better cause he stood up and was trying to walk around I told him to lay back down and guided him to do such, he did I am just really concerned about his paw. How should it look now? Should color be back? Should it still be swollen? Should the dark purple have lightened or eased up by now?
Thank you for all your help!

The congestion/swelling should be abating and normal color returning. How quickly this occurs will be predicated upon the extent of damage. Thankfully, dogs have an amazing collateral circulation and so can tolerate this type of injury far better than we. His walking around on the paw should be encouraged; it will help circulation return to the paw. It's a positive prognostic sign that he's willing to walk on the paw. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Well he is not walking around on his paw he has it up and was kinda like hopping around not putting any pressure or anything on it all...
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 21 days ago.

Ah! That's a start, however. We want to see him start to place the paw. If the skin is broken I'd like you to have him stand in a pot full of chlorhexidine solution which you can find over the counter in your local pharmacy (Hebiclens, e.g.) or in pet/feed stores. Twice daily should help keep the paw from becoming infected.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have been really busy, but Rollie's swelling has went down, he still is not walking on his paw and I would like to see him on it more he will maybe put it down once or twice and barely be on it and it goes back up again ...I don't think he is eating very much, but his nose it wet so I think he is doing good?.....
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

No worries. Noses don't count...

Has his vet had the opportunity to take a look at that paw yet? At the least, Rollie may need pain relief. Pain is a very good appetite suppressant.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Oh :( no I plan on taking him Saturday cause I get off of work too late during the week or do you think that is too long?

I don't believe that another couple of days will be prohibitive. Does that paw have normal color; in other words, a good blood supply? Compare it to the other paws, please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok I will when I get home. I am at work right now I'm at work. :(
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oops didn't mean to put in at work twice haha :)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

I understand. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you :)

You're welcome.