Janice Thomas
Janice Thomas,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at VCA Miracle Mile Animal Clinic
95727087

My dog had an infection where he had a puncture from a dog

Customer Question

My dog had an infection where he had a puncture from a dog bite. It got infected. The dog daycare said he'd need antibiotics. Is there something natural that I can do without going to the vets.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chuck. He is 11.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chuck?
Customer: He was bitten by a dog a week ago. The cuts healed. This one absessed yesterday. The daycare says it might have been an absessed tooth or could be infected cut. He got scratched today by another dog and that opened the wound.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Janice Thomas replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Thomas. I would like to offer you some help!

Sounds like Chuck has had a rough week!

It is not uncommon for some bite wounds to become infected. When a pet is bitten, the tooth can go deep under the skin, depositing bacteria underneath the skin. Sometimes those areas heal on the outside, while a pocket of infection, the abscess, in underneath.

Because of that, wounds should be clipped free from hair and kept clean and dry at home.

Additionally, a warm compress the bite wounds 4 times daily for 5 - 10 minutes for 5 days may help to speed healing and encourage draining and hopefully help prevent abscess formation.

Wearing an e-collar to prevent Chuck from licking at the area is also an option.

But even with all of those suggestions, antibiotics are needed to help the lesion heal quickly and without risk of worsening symptoms for Chuck.

Good news is, there are a number of different antibiotics on the market, some are once a day that could lessen the amount that you have to give.

With good home care, you could lessen the length of time you have to give Chuck antibiotics, but in this case, it seems that they are recommended.

I hope that information gave you some insight on what will be best to do for Chuck.