Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My toy poodle is vomiting and shaking he isnt eating either,

Customer Question

my toy poodle is vomiting and shaking he isnt eating either
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your toy poodle eat anything unusual?
Customer: the only thing i can think of is boiled eggs but it hasnt been a problem before
JA: What is the toy poodle's name and age?
Customer: drake 7 mo
JA: How old is drake?
Customer: 7 months he just threw up again
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about drake?
Customer: no hes shaking too quite a bit in his legs very tired and low energy
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
he has been going to the restroom fine but haven't seen him drink is water though.
he was active and doing fine yesterday morning but noticed he wasn't feeling well last night near 5-6pm. he's thrown up about 8-9 times. first a big chunk (of food?) and then the latter 5 times was more watery. He also had runny poop yesterday morning- very mucousy(one long piece, thick wormlike?)nothing i can think of that would be out of the ordinary.his gums are pink, not sure what you mean by moist or sticky.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Thank you,

No worries, I just wanted an idea of the gum moisture as this is a way to start assessing his hydration. So, if they feel the same as your own, then he isn't likely yet dehydrated. If it didn't feel as moist as yours, then early stage dehydration would be a worry. That aside, based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Just to note shaking/shivering can be a fever sign but can be non-specific and just telling us he feels unwell. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here and the egg is likely innocent).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle Drake's stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you do make sure that Drake's eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with your lad. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )