Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Several weeks ago my dog got big areas of black spots and

Customer Question

Hi. Several weeks ago my dog got big areas of black spots and bright red skin on his belly by his penis. He lost fur in these spots as well as on his tail. He chews on the spots. Started benadryl a few days ago and he stopped chewing. Today he had a seizure and is sort trembling when he breathes. We will get him to vet asap. He's a 7 year old hound mix.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Elvis.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?
Customer: He's very healthy. Walks and runs at a park everyday.he weighs about 70 pounds. Not fat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. There appears to be two unrelated disorders occurring concomitantly. You've described the epidermal collarettes (roughly circular skin lesions) most often indicative of pyoderma (bacterial skin infection/Staph, usually). These collarettes begin as pustules which then spread out. The middle of the collarette quiets down and often hyperpigments ("black spots") while the rim of the collarette can remain actively inflamed, crusty, and infected.

Seizures that arise after the age of 5 years are usually due to brain tumor; less commonly to adult onset epilepsy.