Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 90 lb male golden retriever and he ate probably 6

Customer Question

hello! I have a 90 lb male golden retriever and he ate probably 6 doses of exlax. The local emergency animal clinic isn't answering their phone. I just want to know of he will be ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rudy, he is 3 years old. I tried to make him throw upwith hydrogen peroxide but it didn't work
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rudy?
Customer: no he is a happy healthy dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK he just puked and I the other stuff he got into in the vomit.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. With a larger dog like yours this is not likely to turn into too serious or fatal an incident but Rudy may well suffer distressing side effects such as diarrhoea and stomach cramp for a couple of days.

2. If you can induce vomiting within the first hour after ingestion as you have been trying to do then this would be a very good course of action and would normally resolve the situation. If you are not successful in the first attempt then you can try again a second time. For the sake of speed I will give you a link so you can check how to do this best : LINK

3. But if you fail to induce vomiting quickly you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay as they will have methods of reducing the possible severity of any side effects.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just picked up on your second reply, if you managed to induce vomiting within the first hour after ingestion then things should be just fine ...

Well done!

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Rudy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the exlax ingestion...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?