Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

The top of my dogs nose is bright red. What should I do

Customer Question

The top of my dogs nose is bright red. What should I do about it. It looks like she has scraped it.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 20 days ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

Before I answer, please provide me with the following:

1. How long has this redness been present?

2. Was Nilla in a cage or crate recently?

3. Any chance you can take a photo and upload it here?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It did happen once when she was boarded. It hasn't happened except that once. It was not there last night. I just noticed it when I got home from work. I can take a picture. Mainly I wanted to know if I should put something like neopsorin on it.

Ouchie! Thanks for the photo- she is such a cutie :) It looks like she rubbed it repeatedly on something, possibly the carpeting. I do see it commonly as a result of cage-rubbing after being boarded.

You can certainly apply a thin layer of neosporin, or even vaseline. The problem is, she will immediately try and lick it off- which is OK and won't hurt her, but if you can try and distract her for 5-10 minutes after applying, it will work a little better. You can apply up to 3 x daily; it should heal within a few days.

Can I help with anything else tonight?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you