Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My Maltese is 11.5 lb and is curled up in a corner since

Customer Question

My Maltese is 11.5 lb and is curled up in a corner since this morning she has not eaten or drank nor has she gone to the bathroom. And she shakes when you come near her. Is there anything I can give her ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Molly. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for Molly's symptoms tonight, and we have to consider quite a number of things here for inappetance and shaking. It could be that Molly has an early gastroenteritis on the way, or this could be due to something else entirely including anything from a toxicity, to an internal organ issue, or even musculoskeletal pain.

The main concern right now is that she could become dehydrated as she isn't drinking. Her appetite isn't as much of an immediate concern, so don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth. Don't be tempted to try Molly with any human medications including aspirin, as we don't know what is causing her symptoms and these human drugs generally do more harm than good for dogs.

For now, please keep an eye on Molly's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you think she might be a little nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Molly and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she becomes any more lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

I hope all of Molly's parameters were ok. Let me know if I can help further.

Kind Regards,

Dr E