Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our Pug now13. Overnight developed an appearance of dis

Customer Question

Our Pug now13. Overnight developed an appearance of dis orientation. He has been loosing his sight but now is bumping into things unlike yesterday. He seems to circle to the right. Amy thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with now13?
Customer: Became dis oriented overnight. He's bumping into things which he has not done. Also he seems to want to circle to the right?
JA: Where does now13 seem to hurt?
Customer: Nothing other than arthritic limp which he has had. Turns to the right
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes there is none
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. How old is now13?
Customer: 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about now13?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Pug. The two main differential diagnoses for such behavior are blindness and encephalopathy (brain disorder) and the two are not mutually exclusive.

Dogs circling to the right might have lost sight in the left eye and because he's bumping into things, there would be dimished sight in the right eye.

Unfortunately, it's more likely that his disorientation and circling (indicative of forebrain dysfunction) is a symptom of a change in mentation (mental status) as seen with encephalopathies (brain disorders) - the most common of which at his advanced age are brain tumors. Because he's a Pug, I also need to consider a particularly virulent form of encephalitis called necrotizing encephalitis or "Pug encephalitis". His vet will want to perform a careful physical and neurologic exam on your Pug and referral to a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) might be suggested as such a specialist is best equipped to perform the advanced testing necessary to clarify the etiology of your Pug's behavior. Cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis as well as MRI are likely to be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?